Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Gravity Picks

So the other day I was talking to Chris from Gravity Picks (that's a company based in California that makes hand made picks) and he kindly agreed to send me few samples. Yesterday I got my mail with the picks and I received two picks which are a fat Classic (I guess 2mm) and a, I guess, 1mm Classic XL.

Ok I'll start from the 2mm one. It's a bit smaller from what I'm used and have been using for years, by the way I use .80mm acetal picks, I also sharpen them with a file and so I'll be having some reference to this later on to form my opinion. Asides from size it's also fatter than what I'm used to. I've tried few Dunlop stubbies and while they had some sharp edge what I lacked was comfort. Now with this pick I don't have to care about comfort cause it goes between my fingers like butter: just feels great! It also plays quite smoothly however I found few things I didn't like about it: first of it's the edge, it's quite round and doesn't give me that sharp attack for speed picking and chugging and everything else, it's also quite fat and inflexible thus giving me some limitations with my dynamics, may be that's because I'm used to thinner picks with which I can get all sorts of dynamics I want. The pick is still great and I bet it'll be great for bass players or those who play with fat picks. I personally love it but it won't become my main pick replacement. 

Now the Classic XL is so far my favorite. It is standard-sized and is closer to the gauge I use. Again holding it is just a pleasure, the edges are also great and smooth. It's again hard to bend but has better dynamic response to me. Speed picking is quite good and smooth with this one. Hmm one thing it leaves me wishing for is the sharp tip which would make it to my top 1 pick. And at last but not at least, tonally I'll be comparing these two to my acetal picks. The difference is really vivid, The fat one gives you the most bassiest tone the XL one gives a nice balance of treble and bass and my acetal picks are the brightest picks from these three, they're also thinner and give a bit of a heavier chug and a nice click which makes it mmm chuggier haha. I've also noticed that XL pick has inspired me to play again (not that I'm not playing in general but I'm having a bit of a rest not stressing me at practices and whatnot for soon hitting the studio again for a newer album and now every other free second I want to go play with it). I also founds that cleans with this XL one sound somewhat better and more 'full' than my acetals. I'd say it's really Strat-friendly. Gives me that nice fat tone and spank at the same time!

I say go get one for yourself or better get two!
Here is their website! Hurry up!

 Vendetta V

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you're welcome! Make sure you follow me on facebook at www.facebook.com/vshred or www.facebook.com/vcreep

    if there's something I can help you with, just let me know over there :)

    ReplyDelete